Monday, October 13, 2008

Puzzled in Ghana

I had never been to a country outside of Europe or North America before I came to Ghana...so my experience of place in which a very different culture existed was quite limited. Because of this my first month in Ghana has been a hugely eye-opening experience which has lead me to realise how little I knew about so much. On one of my first days in Ghana after reaching Tamale (our base city in the northern region) I was waiting for Shannen outside a tile shop when a little toddler...maybe 2 or 3 years old wandered past me, tottering about a little as infants do. I didn't pay too much attention at first but then I noticed that the child was sucking on a small light bulb. I was a bit shocked at first and thought to myself 'Woah, someone should really get that lightbulb from the kid!' There were plenty of people around and nobody took any notice of the child, and I, feeling it wasnt my place to do so didn't intervene. The moment passed pretty quickly and she soon disappeared around a corner leaving me with a guilty conscience for not having done something.
A few days later as we left our house and walked though the little village at the top of our road I spotted a razor blade lying on the ground right where the village children run and play barefooted every day of the week. Again I was pretty shocked at this and pointed it out only to be told that it was probably a toy that they played with or used to make toys out of other materials like cans or pieces of cardboard.
So what does one do in such a situation...take a childs toy for its own protection (according to my way of thinking) or let things be (according to the way things are here)?? There are so many examples of things here that the mindset which I have used for most of my life screams 'No!' or 'Wrong!' at. They challenge me on a daily basis to reconsider my preconceptions regarding what is 'correct' or 'safe' or 'acceptable'. Added to this is the consideration that I am a foreigner here and dont yet know the correct 'order' or 'way'. I find myself almost over conscious of not stepping on anyones toes by making assumptions about certain situations that I may not understand because I am not from here.

However given the chance again I like to think I would have taken the lightbulb from the child and picked up the razor blade from the ground.

One of the other games played by the kids involves a tyre and a stick. Belt the tyre with the stick and run after it...much safer!

No comments: